History of the Institute
The Institute for Nanostructure and Solid State Physics (INF) was established in 1925 as the Institute of Applied Physics (IAP). Based at the Jungiusstraße site, Hans Georg Möller was appointed as the institute’s first director. At the time, research primarily focused on high-frequency technology, the applications of electron tubes, and, later, radar technology.
After the war, the IAP temporarily moves into barracks in the former botanical gardens on Jungiusstraße.
Heinz Raether (1909–1986) takes over as director of the IAP. His appointment brings new research focuses: experimental solid state physics and gas discharge physics. In the decades that follow, extensive progress is made on restoring and expanding the institute’s buildings. The new IAP building at Jungiusstraße 11, today known as Building A, is completed in 1953.
Bagge leaves for a new appointment at the University of Kiel. He is succeeded by Georg Süßmann (*1928), who remains with the IAP until 1961.
The IAP gains a high-voltage hall to house a 1.6 MV surge voltage generator financed by the German Research Foundation (DFG) to investigate sparks at very large impact distances.
The Department of Theoretical Solid State Physics is established at the IAP. Walter Franz (1911–1992) is appointed head of department.
Werner Döring (*1911) is appointed to the newly created position of full professor for theoretical physics to research the theory of solid states. Together with Ernst Pascual Jordan, Döring heads the I. Institute of Theoretical Physics at the Jungiusstraße site until his retirement. The Department of Theoretical Solid State Physics within the IAP relocates to the new extension (Building B) built at Jungiusstraße 11. The IAP workshop and advanced internship are also based there.
Development of the research field of interface physics begins at the IAP.
The Department of Chemistry is assigned to the Institute of Physical Chemistry.
The research field of coherent optics is established at the IAP with the appointment of Franz Lanzl.
The research field of solid state lasers is established at the IAP with the appointment of Hans Günter Danielmeyer (*1936).
The IAP is extended further at Jungiusstraße 11 (Building C).
The research fields of semiconductor physics and microstructures are established at the IAP with the appointment of Jörg Peter Kotthaus (*1944).
The research fields of magnetism and low temperature physics are established at the IAP with the appointment of Jürgen Kötzler (*1940).
The study and examination regulations for the Diplom in physics are reformed.
The Institute of Laser Physics is established as a spin-off of the IAP.
Laboratories are built for the Microstructure Research Center at the IAP. Detlef Heitmann (*1942) is appointed and successfully continues the work in microstructure physics following the departure of Jörg Peter Kotthaus for an appointment at Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München.
The Department of Physics becomes part of the newly established Faculty of Mathematics, Informatics and Natural Sciences (MIN Faculty).
The Bachelor of Science in Physics is introduced in Winter Semester 2007/08. The degree program is subsequently reformed, with effect from Winter Semester 2012/13.
The Master of Science in Physics and Bachelor of Science in Nanosciences are introduced in Winter Semester 2009/10. The Bachelor of Science in Nanosciences is subsequently reformed, with effect from Winter Semester 2014/15.
Robert Heinrich Blick (*1967) is appointed and the Center for Hybrid Nanostructures (CHyN) is established in Bahrenfeld following funding approval from the German Council of Science and Humanities. The successful work in the field of nanostructured semiconductors is thus linked to nanobiophysics topics.
The Master of Science in Nanosciences is introduced in Winter Semester 2012/13. The cluster of excellence The Hamburg Centre for Ultrafast Imaging (CUI) and the Center for Free-Electron Laser Science (CFEL) are established at the Bahrenfeld site. The CFEL is operated in cooperation with DESY and the Max Planck Society.
Construction begins on the new research building for the Center for Hybrid Nanostructures (CHyN) following its approval by Hamburg Parliament. The Institute of Applied Physics (IAP) is renamed the Institute for Nanostructure and Solid State Physics (INF), reflecting the growing importance of the nanosciences degree program, whose first cohort consisted of 100 students.
The next research building for the Hamburg Advanced Research Center for Bio-Organic Chemistry (HARBOR) is approved for the Bahrenfeld Campus at DESY. Arwen Ruth Pearson (CUI) is appointed at the INF to further this project and facilitate further research into biophysical structures.